Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 October 2017

This Is Halloween (The Perfect Buttercream)

A Thank You Cake
In South Africa, Halloween is only beginning to become big.  Parties have been held but I doubt it's been as big a scale as in America.  At least, not that I am aware of.  This year we decided to host a Halloween party, and it turned out even better than we dared hope.  We had people from all walks of life and all times of our lives here.  I even reconnected with an old co-belly dancing student.  We haven't seen each other in about 4 years (I think Hubby and my wedding was the last time we saw her), yet somehow she got hold of the invite and decided to come.  Still as gorgeous as ever.


One Slice Please
Obviously with Halloween, there has to be all manner of spooky snacks, and typical of me, why buy when you can bake.  But before I continue with what I made, let us backtrack to Friday night.  We had a bunch of people over to help with decorations and setup, and I decided on cupcakes, so obviously I had to bake those a bit in advance.  And there was batter left.  A lot of batter.  So as a thank you, I made a small cake that we had around midnight.  You read correctly, cake, with a lot of buttercream, at midnight.

On the topic of buttercream, I still find the best recipe to be the Walton's recipe, which is the one I've been using since my mother taught me about cake decorating in primary school:

Halloween Cupcakes
1 cup of Butter (250g)
4 cups of Icing Sugar (500g)
1 tbsp Milk (15ml)

Cream the butter, and slowly add bit by bit of the icing sugar.  Thin a bit with milk if needed.

Back to the cupcakes, I decided to take inspiration from Instagram, and attempt to decorate them to look like a brain with a shard of glass in it.  Tip number 1:  Get the correct piping tip.  I didn't have that, and I think the cupcakes came out looking more like clumps of worms.  Either way, they were a hit, and not one was left at the end of the night.





No comments:

Post a Comment