Search This Blog

Sunday 22 January 2017

Sitting Down for Tea - A Lost Art

I like the older traditions.  There, I said it.  Many of our friends are mildly surprised when they come over for tea the first time, especially if it happens to be on a weekend when I have time. I enjoy putting out the teacups, making a big pot of tea, and having the sugar bowl and milk pitcher on the side.  I never planned to host a tea, but it happened that way by pure chance.



We had a bag of apples in the fridge that are reaching the end of their shelf life and a roll of puff pastry ready for a pie for dinner, and as such, instead of blending the apples for the worm farm, I decided to make a classical dish that I've never made.  Not even in college.  Granted, I have made a savoury version of this dish as a starter back in college days, but never the classical desert.  A Tarte Tatin, or, as some have put it, a glorified upside down apple tart.  What makes this tart so interesting is that it is made on stove top, as well as baked in the oven, so you need a pot/pan that can handle both.  Solid stainless steel cookware is of course the best for this, but few people these days have them.  Most have pots with the plastic cool grip handles.

As it happens, She Wee was at our place for a visit after lunch.  Perfect time to have a slice with a cup of tea.  Even the Husband loved this tart, and he does not like baked or dried fruit in any way, form or fashion.  Not in a punch, not in a salad, or any form of desert.  He's said many times, he will drink the rotten grapes (in the form of wine) but not the dried rotten forms.  Yes I know it isn't rotten, but he teases mercilessly in that way.

But this one he liked.  One of the rare instances where he ate a form of cooked fruit, and actually asked for a second slice.  Of course, I gave him one without any hesitation.  This will definitely be one of those that stays in the regular repertoire.

Now I have a challenge for everyone out there.  As I mentioned at the beginning, I love the old traditions of tea.  I challenge you to host a proper old world tea, complete with something to nibble, even if it is something small, and actually spend time chatting face to face with your friends.  Who knows, you might just be invited to the tea he/she hosts.

Now, since that puff pastry is gone, what to do for dinner?

1 comment: