Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 January 2017

Baklava and Gezelligheid

There is a wonderful Dutch word called "Gezelligheid".  I am semi quoting from Nicole, from the blog The Dutch Table.  Not only are there wonderful recipes for Dutch foods, but also rich insights into the culture.  "Gezelligheid" is a word that few people who aren't Dutch, or in my opinion Afrikaans as well, would find easy to understand.  It is a feeling, a mood that is set when the right people or situation develops or evolves.

Tonight's blog came about with a meeting by my husband and a colleague/friend of his/ours, let's call her Mushroom (an inside joke).  While discussing whatever they needed to discuss the question of something to drink arose.  Without batting an eyelid, Mushroom asked "Is Tiffany's Chai on offer?"  For those that haven't tasted it yet, I've even had an Indian lady tell me that my Chai was on par with what she's had in India.  Unfortunately, I didn't have all the ingredients, but as I'm an avid supporter of The Tea Merchant, I happen to have a tin of Goa Chai, which will do in a pinch.

Now at this point you're probably wondering where the Baklava features from the title?  Just look a little lower and you'll see it.  I haven't made this since college days (which as you may recall was 2004 - 2005).  I met my husband in 2008, and in the 8+ years we've been together, I've never made this for him.  Horror of horrors, even one of his previous employers who was is also an ex chef has made him some, but this weekend past however, was the moment I made it, and it seems to have been worth it as we finished the last piece tonight.  He even told me mine was better (but then again, it probably is better to have your spouse believe he's the better chef).  Not that we didn't have many friends who enjoyed it with us.  I might just share the recipe at a later stage.

So even though I didn't plan on so many blogs in my first week of blogging, I guess I'm making up for when it will be more difficult while doing what I call "working", you know, that place you go to to drink coffee, chat with other people and surf the internet the whole day?  Just don't tell my employer, he'd have a hernia.

But doesn't the photo below warm the heart?  I believe that is what a table must look like after a "Gezellige aandjie"


1 comment:

  1. The Baklava was absolutely yummy and I am a fan of Chai! Those two mixed the love of my life and a good friends company (even though it was a meeting) made a perfect evening!

    ReplyDelete