Search This Blog

Friday 8 September 2017

Tiffany's in CT - Growing Up At Last


Before anyone gets excited, I am not opening a restaurant.  That's just too much work.  But Tiffany's is growing.  A couple of weeks ago, we had breakfast with my "sister" (the one who named me all those years ago as Tiffany).  Husband and I have spoken numerous times about my doing more with my chef degree than cooking for us at home, and there are a few ideas in the pipeline, but I'm not revealing all yet.

As it happened though, we decided to create a logo for Tiffany's so I can move forward and do more with the name.  That day has finally arrived.  Graphix finalised my logo last week, actually on the same Thursday that my previous blog was released, but I decided to keep it quiet for a day or two.  Below is the beautiful logo:



Of course, the reason I pushed to have it done was I have been planning to bake a few things this week for the last two weeks.  Husband and I have ballroom classes every Monday night.  Those that pay their fee for the month at the end of the previous month are entered into a draw, and can win a 1 hour private class.  The winner of August doesn't have time at this stage to make use of that class, so she gave it to us, and as such, I wanted to thank her with a few home made treats.

The result was the first À La Carte menu for Tiffany's.  After a hectic weekend (because Saturday was another market) in the kitchen, I have a batch of products to sell, and hopefully, push Tiffany's into its next fascinating cycle.

Look at that beautiful
smoked salt on top
Do you know how
difficult it was not to
munch on these?
After getting up at 5:30 on Saturday morning to get ready for the market, arriving in Stellenbosch at 8 and only getting home after 6, I decided I need to start baking.  The only things I had energy for was a big batch of caramels, and the truffle filling for the peanut butter biscuits.  I cannot describe the excitement I felt while making the caramels.  You start with a pot of sugar and water, and once the sugar melts, it doesn't look like anything but water boiling.  Then the magic happens with the changing of colour.  I swear it's like alchemy, and I get why the alchemists of old were so excited about their professions.  And the taste, I never dreamed the smoked salt of Ronel would work so phenomenally with caramel.  I'll definitely have to keep a stockpile of it.

The second item I made was the filling of the peanut butter biscuits.  I'm still tweaking the recipe as the filling is very difficult to work with, but I'm sure I'll figure something out in due time.  Until then I'll just have to keep trying.

Chocolate Brownie Batter (before baking)
The First Collection
Peanut Butter Biscuits

Chocolate Brownies
Russian Tea Biscuits
Speculaas
Smoked Salted Caramels

My hectic weekend continued on Sunday, but we decided to sleep late for a change.  We only got up at 10, but I was again baking until about 7 or 8.  I had to begin the brownies as they take forever to cool, but they are so worth it.  I almost think they will become my big money maker.  Even a colleague that doesn't like cake in general was happy with his piece.  This is the one item I will not be humble about.  When I was told it is amazing, I simply said:  "Yes, I know."

Through the day I baked the Peanut Butter Biscuits, Russian Tea Biscuits and Speculaas.  Of course, non of these recipes will go on my blog.  That would be foolish of me.  But those in Cape Town are more than welcome to order from me.


I know this blog has a lot more photos than usual, but I felt I just have to showcase all the work I put in.  I can promise that over time, more recipes will be discovered, developed and created at Tiffany's.  We even have a Facebook page created by my most fantastic Husband.  I've always said he's more than a pretty face.


I took all my stock to work on Monday, yes I still have a day job, and the evening at Ballroom Class, I sold out.  I can promise you the office is not happy as I will only be able to bring new stock on Thursday.  Below I've placed my first A La Carte menu.  My hope is that I can update it regularly with new, and/or different items, but we'll have to see where Tiffany's goes over the next few months.


No comments:

Post a Comment