Search This Blog

Thursday 10 August 2017

A Last Visit

Firstly, I have to say, the day this blog was written was 21 January 2017.  The reason I didn't publish it then, is I wasn't sure if I would ever want to.


Today we went to visit a friend that has Cancer.  Not just any type, but terminal.  It is difficult, to say the least when you go visit someone you know might only live for a few more months, or even weeks.  You always hope you can see that friend again, but the truth is, there are no guarantees.  What do you take to a friend in this instance for a visit?




She's already begun getting rid of a lot of her possessions to not leave her loved ones with the hassles after her death.  I guess some would seem it as extreme, but when my Grandmother was moved to an old age home, I saw the time it took my parents to sort through her house and make arrangements for furniture to either be moved, sold, or scrapped.  It really is not an easy task for anyone.

The answer to the question:  Chocolate Cake.  And yes, even here I can be proud of what I made.  There are few thing better than the gratitude someone gives you when you've created something that they enjoy.  I went all out with this cake.  The best chocolate cake recipe that I have, and good quality chocolate ganache.

---000---

Fast forward a few months later, and on the 7th of July, our friend has passed away.  No, we didn't see her in person again because she wanted to be remembered when she still looked good, and yes, it took me a while to publish this blog, but it wasn't real to me yet.  On Saturday 5 August was the scattering of her ashes.  It was a bittersweet moment, as we all realised she is finally at ease, and free of the pain, but what knocked many, at least Husband and I, was her domestic.  She has been working for our friends family when she was a little girl, so she literally grew up in front of her domestic.

To a good friend, may you find peace among the waves of the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment