Search This Blog

Sunday 2 April 2017

I Was A Busy Person, Possibly (and Another Recipe)

Busy being the operative word, this past weekend I had a field day in the kitchen.  Amazing how creative one can get after 4 weeks of, you know, THAT word.  I decided that I am going to prep for a relaxed week where Husband and I can eat what we want, at least to a degree.  So Saturday rolled around, and the first thing I decided on was a fresh bread for the week as I have been dying to try the Aubergine Pickles (which has my approval, so here is the recipe) with Chilli Jam (which by the way, was gorgeous for lunch, especially as I added a few slices of Gouda which has been in the freezer for the past month).  The perfect sandwich for a Monday at the office.




The only snack item I could think of that wouldn't be a waste are biscuits.  The beauty of them is that when we start on another cycle, they can stay in their tins and still be good when we break again.  Believe it or not, I haven't touched the peanut butter biscuits until Monday afternoon after work.  But back to the bread, I decided on Asian Milk Bread, which I discovered on YiReservation, and as you can see on the right, that blog has been added to my list of suggested sites to visit.


As promised on his blog, the bread is so soft and fluffy, I am sure I will keep this recipe as a go to for bread, even though it does take a bit of time to make.  While making the Milk Bread, I also noticed a recipe for Mantou, which is the Chinese Steamed Buns (and of course, which I love), so as I had everything in the house to make both breads, I decided to do so.  Amazing how a bag of flour can last a month if you're not allowed any carbs or pastries.

Other than bread, I made another batch of biscuits, this time Russian Tea Biscuits, which is a recipe I've been looking for for ages (you can read my discovery of this recipe on the recipe page), and a Triangle Cheese Cake, which is a recipe I got from my mother, but have never made until this weekend.  And best of all, the only items I didn't have in my cupboard was a bag of nuts, a tub of cream cheese, and a packet of Tennis Biscuits.

Oh, and I almost forgot.  We had a gathering at our house and I was asked to make a fruit bread, and I didn't even have to supply the ingredients.  Dead easy to make, so like the Preserved Lemons, I'm adding the recipe on this page:

Fruit Loaf

500ml Buttermilk
500g Flour
1 tsp Bicarb
2 handfuls of Fruit Cake Mix

- Mix everything to a sticky dough, pat into a loaf on a baking tray and bake for 25 min at 180 degrees celcius.

See?  Easy.  And 6 recipies in total for your gastronomic pleasure.  Now I just have to cut into that triangle and see what that tastes like.

1 comment: